“If it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down.”
Atlanta is in the midst of a pretty severe drought – so what’s the upside of 5500+ youth workers visiting the city for a long weekend? Though many of us live in parts of the country not currently facing drought, living in the midst of it for a few days might be good for us.
It would not hurt, after all, for all of us everywhere to use water more wisely.
Here are a few other things Rachel and I have done this weekend to green up the National Youth Workers Convention.
- We haven’t accepted a single plastic bag
- We have turned down many of the handouts and other freebies; accepting only the ones we might want or use
- We’ve taken minimal paper from vendors. Give me a business card with your website rather than 14 pages of glossy pictures
- We’ve carried our own water bottle and insulated cups – water, coffee, and tea for a weekend convention and not a single styrofoam or paper cup consumed!
- Navy showers (forgot this one in the first edit because we’ve actually been doing this for over a month now)
I’d be happy to hear your insights on other ways we might cut down on consumption – things you do or have done, tweaks to normal behaviors, etc.